Traits in The Sims 4 can greatly influence a Sim’s behavior and lifestyle, making gameplay more interesting and diverse. The traits you choose for your Sim can give them unique abilities and reactions, which can be used strategically to advance their career, skills, relationships, and overall life fulfilment. With this guide, you will gain a deep understanding of most of the traits available in the base game.
Please note, if you’re not happy with your Sim’s traits, or if you simply want to try something new, you can change them either by using cheats or by purchasing a Re-Traiting Potion from the Aspiration Rewards Store (costs a whopping 5,000 satisfaction points). Let’s get started.
- Uncomfortable from dirty surroundings, they can initiate a cleaning frenzy, which gives them an energized +3 moodlet for a few hours.
- They gain a bit of fun when cleaning and can clean some objects, like counters, that are already clean.
- They can mop up water puddles on open terrain, unlike other Sims.
- They don’t become uncomfortable around trash and will make household objects dirtier faster.
- They won’t automatically flush the toilet or wash their hands after using the bathroom, and their bladder may fill up while they are showering.
- Often get a four-hour confident +1 moodlet at random.
- Often get a 4-hour happy +1 moodlet at random.
- When they are in a happy or very happy stage, their negative moodlets clear at a faster rate.
- They can look at the bright side to significantly lower the time of existing negative moodlets, with a cooldown of around 4 hours.
- Often get a four-hour sad +1 moodlet at random.
- Take longer to craft things, but the things they create are of higher quality.
- Get a strong happy moodlet when crafting something that’s at least excellent quality, but can get an embarrassed moodlet if making something of low quality.
- Can attempt to swipe objects from others’ households or Community Lots if no other Sims are watching.
- Gain an energized moodlet for 4 hours and the swiped object goes into their household inventory if successful.
- Can return the objects they swipe for a happy moodlet. If they haven’t stolen anything for a while, they will become tense.
- They often slip and almost fall over while walking, especially down wedding aisles.
- Often get a 4-hour +1 flirty moodlet at random. However, they may become tense if they haven’t been romantic with another Sim for a long time.
- Often get a four-hour energized +1 moodlet at random and always have exercise options available to them when clicking on the ground.
- Can fire up other Sims, providing them with an energized +1 moodlet for 4 hours.
- Gain a confident moodlet when they hang out around other Sims that are also snobs, and can often become bored in both normally decorated and poorly decorated environments.
- Often get a four-hour focused +1 moodlet from time to time.
- Can periodically click on themselves and select “solve hard problems” to train their logic skill.
- Can take a nap on chairs and have a lazy nap option available which provides them with a happy +2 moodlet for 4 hours.
- Will often gain an uncomfortable moodlet from working out due to being excruciatingly fatigued.
- Experience a range of random emotional moodlets, can talk to themselves, and tell a story to themselves, raising their social and fun needs.
- Can use a mirror to flirt with themselves, providing them with a flirty +1 moodlet for 4 hours.
- Can rummage in a trash can for food and eat spoiled food without experiencing negative moodlets.
- Get a four-hour confidence +1 moodlet when finding collectibles and become tense if they haven’t played video games for a long period of time.
- Gain a happy moodlet when they are around other Bros, and they can both bro hug and bro bump other Bros.
- Gain a happy moodlet when they are around other Sims who are experiencing positive emotions.
- Can help Sims who are experiencing negative emotions, which lowers the amount of time left on that Sim’s negative moodlets significantly.
- May experience a small sad moodlet when they are in the presence of an evil Sim.
- Gain a happy moodlet when they are around other Sims who are experiencing negative emotions.
- Gain a happy +2 moodlet for 4 hours when making enemies, unlike other Sims who get an angry moodlet from making a new enemy.
- Gain a happy +1 moodlet for 4 hours when performing mean or mischief interactions.
- Able to analyze books, which increases fun rather quickly and may give them an inspired +2 moodlet for 4 hours.
- Erratic Sims with the Seasons expansion will often strip down to their underwear in the rain, regardless of the temperature, shower in the rain autonomously, and gain a happy +3 moodlet when struck by lightning. They also can summon a lightning strike outdoors when hypercharged.
- Kleptomaniac Sims can swipe an object while they are at work too and return home with it.
- Can play with a wide array of infant, toddler, and child-specific toys including giant stuffed animals and dollhouses. This can lead to a playful +2 moodlet.
- Can play in treehouse enclosures.
- Can gain a happy moodlet after watching the kids network TV channel for a while.
- Will randomly gain a +1 playful moodlet for four hours from time to time.
- Gain a happy moodlet when interacting with family members.
Hates Children Sims
- Get a tense moodlet when they are close to a child Sim, which can turn into an angry moodlet if they remain nearby them for a while.
- Will also get a tense moodlet when they are close to toddlers and infants.
- Can get a happy moodlet if they hang out in a space without child Sims.
- Gain a tense moodlet after trying for a baby.
- Get a happy moodlet if they fail a pregnancy test and if they get pregnant, they will be tense throughout their pregnancy.
- Gain a happy moodlet when they are alone.
- Gain a tense moodlet when they’re around other Sims that they don’t know.
- Immune to the sad moodlet that Sims can get when their social need is incredibly low.
- Will gain a random angry +1 moodlet for 4 hours from time to time.
- Get a tense +1 insecure moodlet if they haven’t hung out with their significant other for a while.
- Gain a confident moodlet when spending time interacting with their significant other.
- Experience an uncomfortable moodlet if their significant other is chatting with another Sim nearby them.
- Gain a tense +3 moodlet which lasts for two days if they are romantic with someone who isn’t their partner.
- If they have been faithful to their partner for a decent period of time then they will gain a confident +3 moodlet that lasts for a decent amount of time.
- Get a happy moodlet just from being around close friends.
- Periodically get a tense moodlet if they’ve been in the same career for a long time.
- Get a strong happy moodlet after quitting a career.
- Gain a tense moodlet from time to time when in a long-term relationship and upon breaking up with a Sim, they’ll get a strong happy moodlet.
Outdoor Lover Sims
- Often gain a happy moodlet when spending some time outside.
- If they spend too long inside then they’ll gain a tense moodlet.
- Can randomly get an inspired +1 moodlet for 4 hours.
Art Lover Sims
- Are able to admire art which raises their fun need and then gives them an inspired +2 moodlet.
Music Lover Sims
- Are able to use a stereo to listen deeply to music which increases their fun need and gives them an inspired moodlet.
- Often gain a happy moodlet while playing various instruments.
- Gain a happy moodlet from eating high-quality vegetarian dishes.
- If they eat a dish that contains meat then they’ll gain a strong sad moodlet.
- Gain a strong happy moodlet from eating high-quality food.
- If your sim eats a low-quality dish, they will experience a strong uncomfortable moodlet.
- Can also watch cooking shows for ideas which gives them an inspired +2 moodlet for 4 hours.
- Able to admire objects that they have recently purchased, which can provide a happy moodlet for a few hours.
- If they haven’t purchased anything new for a long period of time, they will get a tense moodlet due to their stale surroundings.
- Gain a happy +3 moodlet following a promotion, compared to a +1 moodlet for Sims who don’t have the ambitious trait.
- If demoted, they gain stronger negative embarrassed moodlets and stronger negative sad moodlets if fired when compared to regular Sims.
- If unemployed for a while, they will gain a tense moodlet.
- Their social need decays a little bit more quickly than other Sims, but the decay isn’t significantly faster.
- They get more powerful moodlets from friendly socialization but also get worse sad moodlets if their social need drops too low.
The Sims 4 Tips & Tricks: Things Even Pros Won’t Know!