In martial arts and combat sports, a takedown is a technique that involves off-balancing an opponent and bringing him or her to the ground with the attacker landing on top. The process of quickly advancing on an opponent and attempting a takedown is known as shooting for a takedown, or simply shooting. Takedowns are usually distinguished from throws by amplitude and impact, with throws being a subset of takedown. Takedowns are featured in all forms of wrestling and stand-up grappling. If you’re getting owned with strikes, or if you just want to catch them off guard, performing a takedown is a great way to get into a dominant position.
Below are combination inputs for some takedowns in UFC 4.
- Double Leg Takedown – LT/L2 + Y
- Power Single – LT/L2 + LB/L1 + X/Square à X/A/Y/B
- Double Leg Takedown – LT/L2 + LB/L1 + Y/Triangle à X/A/Y/B
- Ankle Pick – RB/R1 + X (Clinch, and hold RB/R1) à Hit B/Circle
- Head Lock Hip Toss – RB/R1 + X (Clinch, and hold RB/R1) à Hit A/Cross
- Tripping – RB/R1 + X (Clinch, and hold RB/R1) à Down/Up on L-Stick and hit A/Cross (Down) or B/Circle (Up)